Main Article Content
Indoor radon, thoron, Seasonal variation, Western Uttar Pradesh & correlation.
Purpose: A study of indoor radon and thoron has been carried out in the dwelling of Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. Radon is an invisible radioactive gas that occurs naturally in the indoor atmosphere. It comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soils and rocks.Lung cancer risk depends upon the concentration of radon, thoron and their decay product in air.
Methodology: The measurements of radon and thoron concentration were carried out by using LR-115 type II plastic track detectors (SSNTD Technique).
Findings: In the present study the value of radon concentration from10.5 Bq/m3to 30Bq/m3 with an average19.9Bq/m3and thoron concentration from 5.6 Bq/m3 to 24 Bq/m3 with an average of 14.9 Bq/m3. It is observed that radon and thoron concentration is maximum in winter and minimum during summer. The maximum concentration in winter is essentially influenced by the intense temperature inversion, which occurs in the winter season when the wind velocity is low.
The maximum concentration in winter is also the result of decreased ventilation because in this season the houses are closed for a long time and radon/thoron accumulated inside the room and a weak positive correlation was observed between radon and thoron.
Social Implications: There are some difficulties in assessing the exact risks of radon in the home. Most studies have used data from miners who will have had far more exposure to radon than is likely in any building.
Originality/ Novelty: This study is done at Moradabad City and Research Lab present in S.S.P. G. College Shajhanapur. Data of radon and thoron concentration has been taken from twin cup radon-thoron Dosimeter and Spark Counter.
2. BEIR (2006) Health Risks from Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation ISBN 978-0-309-09156-5.
3. Eappen K.P., Mayya Y.S. (2004). Estimation of seasonal variation in Radon, thoron and their progeny levels in some dwellings Radiation Measurements., 38 pp.5 -17.
4. Fiel, R.W.(2011).Radon: An Overview of Health Effects, Encyclopedia of Environmental. Health,pp.745-753.
5. Kumar, A., Saxena,A.. Rawat, R.B.S. and Sharma.D.(2014). Natural Radioactivity levels in some village in Shahjahanpur Uttar Pradesh,India.IJRSI), 32(12),pp1-3.
6. Miles, J.C.H. (1997).Calibration and standardization of etched track detectors,In Radon measurements by etched track detectors, applications in radiation protection. Elesvier., Second edition pp.38-44.
7. Milic, G., et al.(2013).Indoor radon mapping: a survey of residential houses of Kosovo and Metohija. Rom. Journ. Phys., 58, pp.S180–S188.
8. Mishra,P., Rawat,R.B.S., Sharma, V.K. and Saxena,A.(2014). Concentration of Radon and its Progeny levels in air in the Dwelling of Moradabad of western U.P, India.(IJSR),5(2).
9. Ramola,R.C., Rawat,R.B.S., Kandari,M.S., Ramachandran,T.V., Eappen E.P.and Subba Ramu, M.C.(1997).Calibration of LR-115 Plastic Track Detectors for Environmental Radon Measure. Indoor Built Environ., 5,pp.364-366 .
10. Ramola,R.C. Rawat, R.B.S., Kandari,M.S., Ramachandran,T.V., & Choubey,, V.M.(1998)A study of seasonal variation of radon levels in different types of houses., Jour. Environ. Radioactivity. 39(1)pp.1-7.
11. Ramola,R.C., Negi, M.S. and Choubey,V.M. (2005).Radon, Thoron and their Progeny Concentrations in Dwelling of Kumaun Himalaya-Survey and Outcomes., Environ. Radioactivity.,79 (1), pp.85-92.
12. Rawat, R.B.S., et al.,(2011). A comprative study of environment indoor radon and thoron in Shahjahanpur and Hardoi district of Central Uttar Pradesh. Recent Research. Sci.Techn.,3(6),pp.19-21.
13. Ramachandran, T.V., Eappen, K.P., Nair, R.N., Mayya, Y.S. and Sadasivan, S., (2003).Radon Thoron Levels and Inilation Dose Distribution Patterns in Dwelling, Environ. Assessment division., (BARC).
14. Srivastava, D.S., Singh, P., Rana, N.P.S., Naqvi, A.H., Azam, A., Ramachandran, T.V., Subba Ramu M.C., Muraleedharan T.V. and Shaikh A.N.(1995).Measurements of Indoor Levels of Rn222 and its Daughters, BARC Rep. No. 1390.
15. Singh, P., Singh,S., Shaoo,B.K., Sapra,B.K., Bajwa, B.S.(2015).A study of indoor radon, thoron and their progeny measurement in Tosham region Haryana. India. Journ.Rad. Rese. App. Sci., 8( 2),-233.
16. UNSCEAR (2000). United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, Sources, Effects and Risks of Ionizing Radiation, Report to the General Assembly, (United Nations, New York).