INVESTIGATIVE STUDY OF PREFERRED SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING IN SAFEER MALL, SOHAR, OMAN
The objectives of the study are to examine the customer choice of preference among the various marketing strategies (Social Media, MMS/SMS, advertisement through newspapers, magazines, etc.); to investigatethe awareness of social media marketingand, to find out the preferred social media platform and the security concerns of the customers with respect to such platforms.
The sample survey was involving both qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection. 202 samples were collected through a well-defined questionnaire. The sample included 102 customers of the Mall, 50 university students (both of these samples were selected on a convenient sampling basis) and 50 residents from Safeer vicinity (selected on a simple random sampling basis).
The empirical results reveal that an easy and good means to influence the customers of the mall is through social media marketing. The study also reveals that the customers do not feel secure through social media, as their identities might be stolen or misused. The study confirms that the customers do not perceive social media marketing as an attractive and effective tool as they still prefer the traditional methods.
The study confirms that it is good means to approach the customers of the mall through social media marketing as the customers can easily be influenced which will boost the business in an easier way.
The study emphasizes on the mall's participation and posting of more contents to their social media pages, clarifying the customers on the security issues. The malls should use social media marketing along with the traditional marketing method so as to cope up with the preferences of the customers.
No study has investigated the awareness and the preferences of the social media marketing platforms of the malls of Oman, and this study will help the malls to plan on the new marketing avenues and techniques.
2. Barnes D. and Ganim N. (2011), “Society for a new communications research study: Exploring the link between customer care and Brand reputation in the age of social media,” Journal of New Communications Research, Vol.5, issue.7, pp23-37.
3. Bashar A., Ahmad I. and Wasiq M. (2012), “Effectiveness of Social Media as a Marketing Tool: An Empirical Study,” International Journal of Marketing, Financial Services & Management Research, Vol.1, issue.11, Nov.2012, pp.88-99.
4. Bresciani S. and Eppler M. J. (2010), “Brand new ventures? Insights on start‐ups' branding practices”, Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol. 19, issue. 5, pp.356 – 366. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421011068595
5. Bressolles, G., Durrieu, F. and Deans, K. R. (2015), “An examination of the online service-profit Chain”, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, Vol.43, issue.8, pp.727-751. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-11-2013-0214
6. Carter B. (2006), “Advertisers dip toe into virtual world,” Retrieved on October 11, 2015, from the website http://web.ebscohost.com.ezproxy2.library.usyd.edu.au/bsi/detail
7. Demangeot, C. and Broderick, A. J. (2016), “Engaging Customers during a website visit: a model of website customer engagement,”International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, Vol.44, issue.8, pp.814-839, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-08-2015-0124
8. Editorial Staff, (2010), “How B2B Marketers Are Achieving Marketing Success through Social Media & Search Marketing Integration”, Business.com, Sep.2010, Retrieved on October 11, 2015, from the website http://www.business.com/info/socialmedia-searchintegration
9. Eid, R. and Gohary, H. (2008), “The impact of E-marketing use on small business enterprises' marketing success,” The Service Industries Journal, Jul.2008, Retrieved on Nov. 11, 2015, from the website file:///D:/Research%20Project-A/Sample/Riyad%20and%20Hatem.pdf
10. Facebook (2011), “Facebook Facts,” Facebook Statistics, Retrieved on October 21, 2011, from https://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics
11. Fournier S. and Avery J. (2011), “The Uninvited Brand,” Business Horizons, Vol.54, issue.3, pp193-207, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2011.01.001
12. Grob, M. (2015), “Exploring the Acceptance of Technology for mobile shopping: An empirical investigation among Smartphone users”,The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, Vol.25, Issue.3, pp.215-235.
13. Halligan B., Shah D. and Scott D. M. (2009), “Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs,” John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1ST Edition, ISBN-10-978-0470499311. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118257838
14. Hooda S. and Aggarwal S. (2012), “Consumer Behavior Towards E-Marketing: A Study of Jaipur Consumers,” Journal of Arts, Science & Commerce, Apr.2012, pp.107-118, available at the website file:///D:/Research%20Project-A/Sample/Paper_11.pdf
15. Hung, S., Cheng. M. and Hsieh, S. (2015), “Consumers’ satisfaction with online group buying – an incentive strategy,” International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol.43, Iss:2, pp.167-182. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-09-2013-0183
16. Jones B. (2010), “Entrepreneurial Marketing and the Web 2.0 interface”, Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.143-152. https://doi.org/10.1108/14715201011090602
17. Kaplan A. M. and Haenlein M. (2010), “Users of the world, unite!The challenges and opportunities of social media”, Business Horizons, Vol. 53, issue.1, pp.59–68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003
18. Kotler P. T. and Keller K. L. (2012), “Marketing Management,” Pearson, ISBN-13-9780133764048, 14th edition.
19. Mangold W. G. and Faulds D. J. (2009), “Social media: The new hybrid element of the promotion mix,” Business Horizons, Volume. 52, issue. 4, Jul.-Aug.2009, pp.357-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.03.002
20. Muzellec, L., Feenstra, F., Faultrier, B.D. and Boulay J. (2016), “Children’s experiences and parents’ perceptions of retailers’ mobile applications”, International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol. 44, iss:11, pp.1118-1131. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-11-2015-0169
21. Nikolova S. N. (2012), “The effectiveness of social media in the formation of positive brand attitude for the different users,” Master Thesis, University of Amsterdam, Feb.2012, Retrieved on November 24, 2015, from http://dare.uva.nl/cgi/arno/show.cgi?fid=357997
22. Odhiambo C. A. (2012), “Social Media as a Tool of Marketing and Creating Brand Awareness,” Bachelor of Business Administration Degree Project Report, Department of Business Economics Tourism, Vaasan Ammattikorkeakoulu University of Applied Sciences, available at the website
24. Perez-Latre F. J., Portilla I. and Blanco C. S. (2011), “Social Networks, Media, and Audiences: A Literature Review,” Comunicacion Y Sociedad, Vol. 24, Num. 1, Nov. 2011, pp63-74, Retrieved on November 26, 2015, from the website file:///D:/Research%20Project-A/Sample/10.1.1.465.4960.pdf
25. Resnick, S., Foster, C. and Woodall, T. (2014), “Exploring the UK high street retail experience: is the service encounter still valid?”,International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol.42, Iss:9, pp.839-859. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-05-2013-0090
26. Reyneke M., Pitt L. andBerthon P. R. (2011), “Luxury wine brand visibility in social media: an exploratory study,” International Journal of Wine Business Research, Vol.23, issue.1, pp.21–35. https://doi.org/10.1108/17511061111121380
27. Sarwar, A., Haque, A. and Yasmin, F. (2013), “The Usage of Social Network as a Marketing Tool: Malaysian Muslim Consumers’ Perspective,” International Journal ofAcademic Research in Economics and Management Sciences, Jan. 2013, Vol. 2, No. 1, ISSN: 2226-3624, pp.93-102.
28. Shjarback J. (2014), “What are Different Types of Internet Marketing Strategies,” Business to Community, Jan. 19, 2014, Retrieved on November
23, 2015, from http://www.business2community.com/online-marketing/different-types-internetmarketing-strategies-0745176#QipTxF7rf7QTmCGZ.97
29. SMB Group, (2012), Impact of Social Business in Small and Medium Business Study, Retrieved on October 28, 2015, from http://www.smbgr.com/wpcontent/uploads/2012/pdfs/2012_Impact_of_Social_Business_ Study_Mark eting_Overview.pdf
30. Starbucks, (2011), My Starbucks idea, Retrieved on October 21, 2015, fromhttp://mystarbucksidea.force.com/ideaHome
31. Stelzner, M. (2011), “2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Report: How Marketers are using social media to grow their businesses”, Social Media Examiner, Apr. 2011, Retrieved on November 18, 2015, from http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/SocialMediaMarketingReport2011.pdf
32. Stokes D. and Lomax W. (2002), “Taking control of word of mouth marketing: the case of an entrepreneurial hotelier,” Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, Vol. 9, Issue. 4, pp.349 – 357. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000210450531
33. Taylor C. (2011), “Twitter has 100 million active users”, Sep.2011, Retrieved on November 23, 2015, from http://mashable.com/2011/09/08/twitter-has-100-millionactive-users/
34. Wadlington J. (2016), “How to use Twitter for customer service,” Small Business Marketing Team, Vol.23, issue.54, UTC, Retrieved on October 19, 2015, from https://blog.twitter.com/2016/how-to-use-twitter-for-customer-service
35. Walsh M. F. and Lipinski J. (2009), “The role of the marketing function in small and medium-sized enterprises,” Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, Vol. 16, issue.4, pp.569 – 585. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000911000929
36. Weinberg B. D. and Pehlivan E. (2011), “Social spending: Managing the social media mix,” Business Horizons, Vol.54, issue.3, pp275–282.
37. Yannopoulos P. (2011), “Impact of the Internet on Marketing Strategy Formulation,” International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 2, issue. 18, Oct.2011, pp.1–7, available at the website http://www.ijbssnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_18_October_2011/1.pdf
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License.