Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE MODERATING ROLE OF JOB EMBEDDEDNESS ON THE EFFECT OF ORGANISATIONAL JUSTICE AND ORGANISATIONAL LEARNING CULTURE ON TURNOVER INTENTION: A CONCEPTUAL REVIEW
Corresponding Author(s) : Rawiyah Abd Hamid
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose: Employee’s turnover has been investigated by many researchers as an organisations’ negative outcome. The organizations that facing high rates of turnover should examine the fundamental reasons that cause employees’ turnover in order to reach real solutions to this problem. For that, they should ask a dynamic question, why some employees stay and some leave?
Methodology: The reasons may seem difficult and consistent to the preferences and necessities of the employees. From another aspect, the majority of research in the context of turnover intention have been conducted in the western contexts, therefore it is worthwhile to encourage more studies in non-western settings to discover new understandings related to the problem.
Results: Malaysia is considered as one of the developing countries that is having high turnover of employees in many sectors. Consequently, this study proposed a research framework to examine the relationship between organisational justice (OJ)’s three dimensions (Distributive justice, procedural justice and interactional justice), organisational learning culture (OLC) and turnover intention (TI). Furthermore this study recommended the moderating role of Job embeddedness (JE) in this relationship. Hence, the suggested research framework will contribute to the body of knowledge through providing new insights.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abid, G. and T.H. Butt, 2017. Expressed turnover intention: Alternate method for knowing turnover intention and eradicating common method bias. International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences, 78: 18-26.https://doi.org/10.18052/www.scipress.com/ILSHS.78.18
- Ahmed, I., M.M. Nawaz, G. Ali and T. Islam, 2015. Perceived organizational support and its outcomes: A meta-analysis of latest available literature. Management Research Review, 38(6): 627-639.https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-09-2013-0220
- Ajzen, I., 1991. The theory of planned behavior. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 50(2): 179-211.https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Allen, D.G., 2006. Do organizational socialization tactics influence newcomer embeddedness and turnover? Journal of management, 32(2): 237-256.https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206305280103
- Auf, M.A.A., H. Meddour, O. Saoula and A.H.A. Majid, 2018. Consumer buying behavior: The roles of price, motivation, perceived culture importance, and religious Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 12(4): 186-195.https://doi.org/10.24052/JBRMR/V12IS04/ART-18
- Banerjee, P., R. Gupta and R. Bates, 2017. Influence of organizational learning culture on knowledge worker's motivation to transfer training: Testing moderating effects of learning transfer climate. Current Psychology, 36(3): 606-617.https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-016-9449-8
- Bies, R.J. and J.S. Moag, 1986. Interactional justice: Communication criteria of fairness. Research on negotiation in organizations, 1(1): 43-55.
- Blau, P.M., 1964. Exchange and power in social life. Transaction Publishers.
- Burton, J.P., B.C. Holtom, C.J. Sablynski, T.R. Mitchell and T.W. Lee, 2010. The buffering effects of job embeddedness on negative shocks. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 76(1): 42-51.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.06.006
- Chib, S., 2016. Study on organizational commitment and workplace empowerment as predictors of organizational citizenship behaviour. Scholedge International Journal of Management & Development ISSN 2394-3378, 3(3): 63-73.https://doi.org/10.19085/journal.sijmd030301
- de Beer, L.T., S. Rothmann Jr and J. Pienaar, 2016. Job insecurity, career opportunities, discrimination and turnover intention in post-apartheid south africa: Examples of informative hypothesis testing. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27(4): 427-439.https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2015.1020446
- Egan, T.M., B. Yang and K.R. Bartlett, 2004. The effects of organizational learning culture and job satisfaction on motivation to transfer learning and turnover intention. Human resource development quarterly, 15(3): 279-301.https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1104
- Emami, R., E. Moradi, D. Idrus and D.O. Almutairi, 2012. Investigating the relationship between organizational learning culture, job satisfaction and turnover intention in it smes. International Journal of Innovative Ideas, 12(1): 8-23.
- Fareed, M., W.S. Noor, M.F. Isa and S.S. Salleh, 2016. Developing human capital for sustainable competitive advantage: The role of organizational culture and high performance work system. International Journal of Economic Perspectives, 10(4): 655-673.
- Fatt, C.K., E.W. Khin and T.N. Heng, 2010. The impact of organizational justice on employee's job satisfaction: The malaysian companies perspectives. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 2(1): 56-63.https://doi.org/10.3844/ajebasp.2010.56.63
- George, J. and S. Wallio, 2017. Organizational justice and millennial turnover in public accounting. Employee Relations, 39(1): 112-126.https://doi.org/10.1108/ER-11-2015-0208
- Greenberg, J., 1987. A taxonomy of organizational justice theories. Academy of management review, 12(1): 9-22.https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1987.4306437
- Greenberg, J., 1990. Organizational justice: Yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Journal of management, 16(2): 399-432.https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639001600208
- Greenberg, J., 2009. Everybody talks about organizational justice, but nobody does anything about it. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2(2): 181-195.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-9434.2009.01131.x
- Greene, J., N. Mero and S. Werner, 2018. The negative effects of job embeddedness on performance. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 33(1): 58-73.https://doi.org/10.1108/JMP-02-2017-0074
- Halbesleben, J.R. and A.R. Wheeler, 2008. The relative roles of engagement and embeddedness in predicting job performance and intention to leave. Work & Stress, 22(3): 242-256.https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370802383962
- Hamid, T., M. Reihaneh and Z.K. Siroos, 2016. The effect on turnover intention on empowering employees according to mediate the interoperability of pnu fars province employees. The Social Sciences, 11(06): 882-889.
- Harden, G., K.G. Boakye and S. Ryan, 2018. Turnover intention of technology professionals: A social exchange theory perspective. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 58(4): 291-300.https://doi.org/10.1080/08874417.2016.1236356
- Harris, C.M., J.J. Lavelle and G.C. McMahan, 2018. The effects of internal and external sources of justice on employee turnover intention and organizational citizenship behavior toward clients and workgroup members. The International Journal of Human Resource Management: 1-24.https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2018.1441163
- Hassan, A., 2002. Organizational justice as a determinant of organizational commitment and intention to leave. Asian Academy of Management Journal, 7(2): 55-66.
- Hemdi, M.A. and A.M. Nasurdin, 2007. Investigating the influence of organizational justice on hotel employees' organizational citizenship behavior intentions and turnover intentions. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 7(1): 1-23.https://doi.org/10.1300/J171v07n01_01
- Holtom, B.C., J.P. Burton and C.D. Crossley, 2012. How negative affectivity moderates the relationship between shocks, embeddedness and worker behaviors. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80(2): 434-443.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.12.006
- Holtom, B.C. and T. Darabi, 2018. Job embeddedness theory as a tool for improving employee retention. In: Psychology of retention. Springer: pp: 95-117.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-98920-4_5
- Holtom, B.C., T.R. Mitchell and T.W. Lee, 2006. Increasing human and social capital by applying job embeddedness theory. Organizational Dynamics, 35(4): 316-331.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgdyn.2006.08.007
- Islam, T., U.N.U.B. Ahmad and I. Ahmed, 2013. Organizational learning culture and leader-member exchange quality: The way to enhance organizational commitment and reduce turnover intentions. Learning Organization, The, 20(4/5): 322-337.https://doi.org/10.1108/TLO-12-2012-0079
- Islam, T., F. Anwar, S.U.R. Khan, A. Rasli, U.N.B.U. Ahmad and I. Ahmed, 2012. Investigating the mediating role of organizational citizenship behavior between organizational learning culture and knowledge sharing. World Applied Sciences Journal, 19(6): 795-799.
- Islam, T., M.M. Khan, F.H. Bukhari, F. Tuggle and D. Chauvel, 2016. The role of organizational learning culture and psychological empowerment in reducing turnover intention and enhancing citizenship behavior. The Learning Organization, 23(2/3): 156-169.https://doi.org/10.1108/TLO-10-2015-0057
- Islam, T., S.U.R. Khan, M. Aamir and U.N.U. Ahmad, 2012. Turnover intentions: The inﬂuence of organizational learning culture and multi foci citizenship behaviors. Middle East Journal of Scientiﬁc Research,, 12( 5): 650-661.
- Karatepe, O.M., 2013. High-performance work practices, work social support and their effects on job embeddedness and turnover intentions. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 25(6): 903-921.https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-06-2012-0097
- Karatepe, O.M. and S. Shahriari, 2014. Job embeddedness as a moderator of the impact of organisational justice on turnover intentions: A study in iran. International Journal of Tourism Research, 16(1): 22-32.https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.1894
- Keni, R.M., Teoh Ai Ping and Rubiah Ab Rahman., 2013. Turnover intention trend among commercial banks in penang, malaysia.
- Kiazad, K., B.C. Holtom, P.W. Hom and A. Newman, 2015. Job embeddedness: A multifoci theoretical extension. Journal of Applied Psychology, 100(3): 641-659.https://doi.org/10.1037/a0038919
- Kim, W. and Y.S. Hyun, 2017. The impact of personal resources on turnover intention: The mediating effects of work engagement. European Journal of Training and Development, 41(8): 705-721.https://doi.org/10.1108/EJTD-05-2017-0048
- Labrague, L.J., D.S. Gloe, D.M. McEnroe-Petitte, K. Tsaras and P.C. Colet, 2018. Factors influencing turnover intention among registered nurses in samar philippines. Applied Nursing Research, 39: 200-206.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2017.11.027
- Langove, N., A.S.N.B. Isha and M.U. Javaid, 2016. The mediating effect of employee well-being in relation to role stressors and turnover intention: A conceptual study. International Review of Management and Marketing, 6(4S): 150-154.
- Lee, T.W. and T.R. Mitchell, 1994. An alternative approach: The unfolding model of voluntary employee turnover. Academy of management review, 19(1): 51-89.https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1994.9410122008
- Lee, T.W., T.R. Mitchell, C.J. Sablynski, J.P. Burton and B.C. Holtom, 2004. The effects of job embeddedness on organizational citizenship, job performance, volitional absences, and voluntary turnover. Academy of Management Journal, 47(5): 711-722.https://doi.org/10.2307/20159613
- Lin, C.-P., Y.-H. Tsai and F. Mahatma, 2017. Understanding turnover intention in cross-country business management. Personnel Review, 46(8): 1717-1737.https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-07-2016-0176
- Liu, Y., R. Loi and H.-y. Ngo, 2018. Linking organizational social exchange to intention to leave: Does normative commitment matter? The International Journal of Human Resource Management: 1-21.https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2017.1423097
- Long, C.S.A., Anisa Kowang, Tan Owee Fei, Goh Chin, 2016. An analysis on the relationship between work family conﬂict and turnover intention: A case study in a manufacturing company in malaysia. International Business Management, 10(3): 176-182.
- Mallol, C.M., B.C. Holtom and T.W. Lee, 2007. Job embeddedness in a culturally diverse environment. Journal of Business and Psychology, 22(1): 35-44.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-007-9045-x
- Marsick, V.J. and K.E. Watkins, 2003. Demonstrating the value of an organization's learning culture: The dimensions of the learning organization questionnaire. Advances in developing human resources, 5(2): 132-151.https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422303005002002
- Mitchell, T.R., B.C. Holtom, T.W. Lee, C.J. Sablynski and M. Erez, 2001. Why people stay: Using job embeddedness to predict voluntary turnover. Academy of Management Journal, 44(6): 1102-1121.https://doi.org/10.5465/3069391
- Mobley, W.H., 1977. Intermediate linkages in the relationship between job satisfaction and employee turnover. Journal of Applied Psychology, 62(2): 237-240.https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.62.2.237
- Muqadas, F., C.A. Rehman and U. Aslam, 2017. Organizational justice and employee's job dissatisfaction: the moderating role of psychological empowerment. Pakistan Business Review, 18(4): 848-864.
- Nasyira, M., M. Othman and H. Ghazali, 2014. Predictors of intention to stay for employees of casual dining restaurant in klang valley area. International Food Research Journal, 21(3): 863-871.
- Ng, T.W. and D.C. Feldman, 2007. Organizational embeddedness and occupational embeddedness across career stages. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 70(2): 336-351.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2006.10.002
- Ng, T.W. and D.C. Feldman, 2011. Affective organizational commitment and citizenship behavior: Linear and non-linear moderating effects of organizational tenure. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 79(2): 528-537.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.03.006
- Nowakowski, J.M. and D.E. Conlon, 2005. Organizational justice: Looking back, looking forward. International Journal of Conflict Management, 16(1): 4-29.https://doi.org/10.1108/eb022921
- Ongori, H., 2007. A review of the literature on employee turnover. African Journal of Business Management, 1(3): 049-054.
- Ozkurt, B. and C.B. Alpay, 2018. Investigation of proactive personality characteristics of the students of high school of physical education and sports through various variables. Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(2): 150-155.https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.522.2018.42.150.155
- Özmaden, M., F. Soter and H. Özmaden, 2018. The physical education and sport studies in the framework of social demands-institutional structuring and teacher training the developments before and during turkey training community alliance period (1922-1936). Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(3): 170-175.https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.522.2018.43.170.175
- Paillé, P., 2013. Organizational citizenship behaviour and employee retention: How important are turnover cognitions? The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 24(4): 768-790.https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2012.697477
- Parasız, Ö., M. Koç, E. Ilgar and M.Y. Şahin, 2017. Relationship between organizational commitment and turnover intentions of academics. Journal of Human Sciences, 14(4): 4065-4076.https://doi.org/10.14687/jhs.v14i4.5076
- Perera, W., 2018. An analysis of the behaviour of prime lending rates in sri lanka. Asian Journal of Economics and Empirical Research, 5(2): 121-138.
- Phayoonpun, T. and N. Mat, 2014. Organizational justice and turnover intention: The mediation role of job satisfaction. International Postgraduate Business Journal, 6(2): 1-21.
- Ponnu, C. and C. Chuah, 2010. Organizational commitment, organizational justice and employee turnover in malaysia. African Journal of Business Management, 4(13): 2676-2692.
- Purwanto, M.R., C. Chotimah and I. Mustofa, 2018. Sultan agung's thought of javanis islamic calendar and its implementation for javanis moslem. International Journal of Emerging Trends in Social Sciences, 4(1): 9-14.https://doi.org/10.20448/2001.41.9.14
- Puteri, L.H., 2018. The apperception approach for stimulating student learning motivation. International Journal of Education, Training and Learning, 2(1): 7-12.https://doi.org/10.33094/6.2017.2018.21.7.12
- Saoula, O. and H. Johari, 2016. The mediating effect of organizational citizenship behaviour on the relationship between perceived organizational support and turnover intention: A proposed framework. International Review of Management and Marketing, 6(7S): 345-354.
- Saoula, O., H. Johari and M.A. Bhatti, 2016. The mediating effect of organizational citizenship behavior on the relationship between personality traits (big five) and turnover intention: A proposed framework. International Business Management, 10(20): 4755-4766.
- Saoula, O., H. Johari and M. Fareed, 2018. A conceptualization of the role of organisational learning culture and organisational citizenship behaviour in reducing turnover intention. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research (JBRMR), 12(4): 132-140.https://doi.org/10.24052/JBRMR/V12IS04/ART-13
- Saraih, U.N., A.Z.Z. Aris, M. Sakdan and R. Ahmad, 2017. Factors affecting turnover intention among academician in the malaysian higher educational institution Review of Integrative Business and Economics Research, 6(1): 1-15.
- Sayed, A.A.A., R.D. Mohammad, R. Hossein, S. Yashar and T. Hamid, 2012. The study on the relationship between organizational justice, organizational citizenship behavior, job satisfaction and turnover intentions a comparison between public sector and private sector. International Business Management, 6(1): 22-31.https://doi.org/10.3923/ibm.2012.22.31
- Sekiguchi, T., J.P. Burton and C.J. Sablynski, 2008. The role of job embeddedness on employee performance: The interactive effects with leader- member exchange and organizational-based self-esteem. Personnel psychology, 61(4): 761-792.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2008.00130.x
- Senge, P.M., 1990. The fifth discipline: The art and practice of the learning organization. . Currency Doubleday, New York.
- Shore, L.M., L.E. Tetrick, P. Lynch and K. Barksdale, 2006. Social and economic exchange: Construct development and validation. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 36(4): 837-867.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0021-9029.2006.00046.x
- Suifan, T.S., A.B. Abdallah and H. Diab, 2016. The influence of work life balance on turnover intention in private hospitals: The mediating role of work life conflict. European Journal of Business and Management, 8(20): 126-139.
- Sumaira Khalid, Ch. Abdul Rehman and F. Muqadas, 2018. Exploring the mediating role of affective commitment on organizational justice and turnover intention. Pakistan Business Review(Jan 2018): 1012-1028.
- Tett, R.P. and J.P. Meyer, 1993. Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, turnover intention, and turnover: Path analyses based on meta‐analytic findings. Personnel psychology, 46(2): 259-293.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1993.tb00874.x
- Thibaut, J.W. and L. Walker, 1975. Procedural justice: A psychological analysis. L. Erlbaum Associates Hillsdale, NJ; New York, NY.
- Ton, Z. and R.S. Huckman, 2008. Managing the impact of employee turnover on performance: The role of process conformance. Organization Science, 19(1): 56-68.https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1070.0294
- Wheeler, A.R., K.J. Harris and P. Harvey, 2010. Moderating and mediating the hrm effectiveness--intent to turnover relationship: The roles of supervisors and job embeddedness. Journal of Managerial Issues, 22(2): 182-196. .
- William Lee, T., T.C. Burch and T.R. Mitchell, 2014. The story of why we stay: A review of job embeddedness. Annu. Rev. Organ. Psychol. Organ. Behav., 1(1): 199-216.https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-031413-091244
- Xiong, G., X. Wang and A. Li, 2018. Leave or stay as a risky choice: Effects of salary reference points and anchors on turnover intention. Frontiers in psychology, 9: 1-10.https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00686
- Yang, C., Q. Ma and L. Hu, 2011. Job embeddedness: A new perspective to predict voluntary turnover. Nankai Business Review International, 2(4): 418-446.https://doi.org/10.1108/20408741111178834
- Yao, X., T. Lee, T. Mitchell, J. Burton and C. Sablynski, 2004. Job embeddedness: Current research and future directions. In: Understanding employee retention and turnover, G. In R.Griffeth & P.Hom (Eds.), CT: Information Age., (Ed.). pp: 153-187.