Main Article Content
supply chain management, ethics, culture, SEM-PLS
Purpose: The present study focuses on the role of ethics in the supply chain management. In addition to that the moderating role of culture is also examined. Organizational culture has been regarded as an important determinant of ethical behaviours of managers. This paper assesses the potential of organizational culture to impact ethics in organizations.
Methodology: Organizational culture is recognized as one determinant of how people behave, more or less ethically, in organizations.
Results: The research outcome will enable organizations with SCM functions to understand better the role that ethics can play in steering the organization to greater heights. The research will also assist professional associations in the approach of guiding, training and counselling its members on issues related to ethics. The results of the current study are providing support to the proposed hypothesis. The results are obtained through smart PLS. In the author's knowledge this is among pioneering studies on this issue.
2. Amemba, C.S., P.G. Nyaboke, A. Osoro and N. Mburu, 2013. Challenges affecting public procurement performance process in Kenya. International Journal of Research in Management, 3(4): 41-55.
3. Andersen, M. and T. Skjoett-Larsen, 2009. Corporate social responsibility in global supply chains. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 14(2): 75-86.https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540910941948
4. Anderson, G. and M. Orsagh, 2004. The corporate governance risks. Electric Perspectives, 29(1): 68.
5. Arjoon, S. and J. Gopaul, 2003. Ethical orientation of future managers: The case of Trinidad. Social and Economic Studies: 99-117.
6. Auroi, C., 2003. Improving sustainable chain management through fair trade. Greener Management International, 43.https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.3062.2003.au.00005
7. Beamon, B.M., 2005. Environmental and sustainability ethics in supply chain management. Science and Engineering Ethics, 11(2): 221-234.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-005-0043-y
8. Bhatnagar, R. and C.C. Teo, 2009. Role of logistics in enhancing competitive advantage: A value chain framework for global supply chains. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 39(3): 202-226.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030910951700
9. Carmeli, A. and A. Tishler, 2004. The relationships between intangible organizational elements and organizational performance. Strategic Management Journal, 25(13): 1257-1278.https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.428
10. Carter, C.R., 2000. Ethical issues in international buyer-supplier relationships: A dyadic examination. Journal of Operations Management, 18(2): 191-208.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(99)00016-9
11. Carter, C.R. and M.M. Jennings, 2004. The role of purchasing in corporate social responsibility: A structural equation analysis. Journal of Business Logistics, 25(1): 145-186.https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2158-1592.2004.tb00173.x
12. Chopra, S. and P. Meindl, 2001. Supply chain management: Strategy. Planning and Operation, 15(5): 71-85.
13. Christie, P.M.J., I.W.G. Kwon, P.A. Stoeberl and R. Baumhart, 2003. A cross-cultural comparison of ethical attitudes of business managers: India Korea and the United States. Journal of Business Ethics, 46(3): 263-287.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025501426590
14. Cooper, M.C. and L.M. Ellram, 1993. Characteristics of supply chain management and the implications for purchasing and logistics strategy. . The International Journal of Logistics Management, 4(2): 13-24.https://doi.org/10.1108/09574099310804957
15. Drake, M.J. and J.T. Schlachter, 2008. A virtue-ethics analysis of supply chain collaboration. Journal of Business Ethics, 82(4): 851-864.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9597-8
16. Elango, B., K. Paul, S.K. Kundu and S.K. Paudel, 2010. Organizational ethics, individual ethics, and ethical intentions in international decision-making. Journal of Business Ethics, 97(4): 543-561.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0524-z
17. Eltantawy, R.A., G.L. Fox and L. Giunipero, 2009. Supply management ethical responsibility: Reputation and performance impacts. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 14(2): 99-108.https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540910941966
18. Emiliani, M.L., 2010. Historical lessons in purchasing and supplier relationship management. Journal of Management History, 16(1): 116-136.https://doi.org/10.1108/17511341011008340
19. Gallivan, M. and M. Srite, 2005. Information technology and culture: Identifying fragmentary and holistic perspectives of culture. Information and Organization, 15(4): 295-338.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infoandorg.2005.02.005
20. Hair, J.F., C.M. Ringle and M. Sarstedt, 2011. PLS-SEM: Indeed, a silver bullet. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 19(2): 139-152.https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679190202
21. Hair, J.F., M. Sarstedt, C.M. Ringle and J.A. Mena, 2012. An assessment of the use of partial least squares structural equation modeling in marketing research. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40(3): 414-433.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-011-0261-6
22. Hall, J. and S. Matos, 2010. Incorporating impoverished communities in sustainable supply chains. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 40(1/2): 124-147.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600031011020368
23. Halldórsson, Á. and G. Kovács, 2010. The sustainable agenda and energy efficiency: Logistics solutions and supply chains in times of climate change. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 40(1/2): 5-13.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600031011018019
24. Hansen, F. and M. Smith, 2006. The ethics of business strategy. Handbook of Business Strategy, 7(1): 201-206.
25. Herkert, J.R., 2001. Future directions in engineering ethics research: Microethics, macroethics and the role of professional societies. Science and Engineering Ethics, 7(3): 403-414.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-001-0062-2
26. Hoyt, J. and F. Huq, 2000. From arms-length to collaborative relationships in the supply chain: An evolutionary process. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 30(9): 750-764.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030010351453
27. Hughes, A., 2001. Global commodity networks, ethical trade and governmentality: Organizing business responsibility in the Kenyan cut flower industry. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 26(4): 390-406.https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-5661.00031
28. Keating, B., 2009. Managing ethics in the tourism supply chain: The case of Chinese travel to Australia. International Journal of Tourism Research, 11(4): 403-408.https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.706
29. Kushwaha, G.S., 2012. Operational performance through supply chain management practices. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(2).
30. Maignan, I., T.L. Gonzalez-Padron, G.T.M. Hult and O.C. Ferrell, 2011. Stakeholder orientation: Development and testing of a framework for socially responsible marketing. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 19(4): 313-338.https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2011.581384
31. Maloni, M.J. and M.E. Brown, 2006. Corporate social responsibility in the supply chain: An application in the food industry. Journal of Business Ethics, 68(1): 35-52.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9038-0
32. Mentzer, J.T., W. DeWitt, J.S. Keebler, S. Min, N.W. Nix, C.D. Smith and Z.G. Zacharia, 2001. Defining supply chain management. Journal of Business Logistics, 22(2): 1-25.https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2158-1592.2001.tb00001.x
33. Okpechi, P., C. Denwigwe, P. Asuquo, C. Abuo and F. Unimna, 2018. Awareness and utilization of e-learning resources by trainee counsellors of counselling education in calabar, nigeria. International Journal of Educational Technology and Learning, 3(2): 45-51.
34. Oli, S.K., 2018. Impact of microfinance institutions on economic growth of nepal. Asian Journal of Economic Modelling, 6(2): 98-109.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.8.2018.62.98.109
35. Olowa, O.W., 2018. Determinants of rural residential solid waste collection services in lagos state. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Policy, 7(1): 1-7.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.26.2018.71.1.7
36. Oluwafisoye, O. and O. Akande, 2013. Business ethics and corporate social responsibility. The Perception of Employees on Business Ethics in an Organization.
37. Önder, M., 2018. Contribution of plays and toys to children's value education. Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(2): 146-149.https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.522.2018.42.146.149
38. Onyango, J.P., 2012. Role of ethics in supply chain management of oil marketing firms in Kenya. Project Research Presented to the University of Nairobi, School of Business, Nairobi.
39. Onyinye, I., A. Orji, E. Jonathan and O. Emmanuel, 2018. Disaggregated foreign capital inflows and economic growth in a developing economy: Empirical evidence from nigeria. Journal of Empirical Studies, 5(1): 1-11.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.66.2018.51.1.11
40. Osabuohien, R., G. Osuma, C. Ndigwe and E. Ozordi, 2018. Social protection and agricultural production in ecowas: The youth unemployment question. Journal of Social Economics Research, 5(2): 51-62.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.35.2018.52.51.62
41. Pretious, M. and M. Love, 2006. Sourcing ethics and the global market: The case of the UK retail clothing sector. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 34(12): 892-903.https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550610714620
42. Roberts, S., 2003. Supply chain specific? Understanding the patchy success of ethical sourcing initiatives. Journal of Business Ethics, 44(2-3): 159-170.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023395631811
43. Seuring, S. and M. Müller, 2003. Strategy and organization in supply chains-new frontiers for research. Strategy and Organization in Supply Chains, Seuring, S. pp: 1-14.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-11377-6_1
44. Smith, A. and E.C. Hume, 2005. Linking culture and ethics: A comparison of accountants' ethical belief systems in the individualism/collectivism and power distance contexts. Journal of Business Ethics, 62(3): 209-220.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-005-4773-1
45. Svensson, G. and H. Bååth, 2008. Supply chain management ethics: Conceptual framework and illustration. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 13(6): 398-405.https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540810905651
46. Vardi, Y., 2001. The effects of organizational and ethical climates on misconduct at work. Journal of Business Ethics, 29(4): 325-337.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010710022834
47. Yusuf, Y., A. Hawkins, A. Musa, N.E. Berishy, M. Schulze and T. Abubakar, 2014. Ethical supply chains: Analysis, practices and performance measures. International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, 17(4): 472-497.https://doi.org/10.1504/IJLSM.2014.061016