Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE LIFE OF THE OLD: PRIOR TO NATIONAL WELFARE PROGRAM
Corresponding Author(s) : Bambang Setiaji
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 4 (2019): July
Purpose: The purpose of this research is to investigate the lives of elderly people after their retirement without welfare program supporting their daily needs.
Methodology: The research was conducted by employing unstructured interview sessions with the respondents. In selecting the respondents, the snowball method was used. They were met at a market, on a rice field, or on the main roads in Solo. Later, the researchers were brought to their homes so the researchers had a chance to look at the condition of their homes. The respondents often looked glad as perhaps they felt that there are people who care about them.
Result: The research results show that most pensioners, due to the unavailability of the much-needed welfare programs, work in the informal sector. This suggests the needs of a well-managed informal sector as well as the necessity of welfare programs.
Applications: This research can be used for the universities, teachers and education students.
Novelty/Originality: The Indonesian government has not been able to provide a sufficient pension and welfare program for them. The respondents were senior citizens who live in Surakarta, Indonesia. They were interviewed about their daily activities and what they do to fulfill their daily needs.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Haedar Nashir, Mutohharun Jinan, Bambang Setiaji, MUHAMMADIYAH: THE POLITICAL BEHAVIOR OF MODERNIST MUSLIM ELITE IN INDONESIA , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 4 (2019): July
- Barreto, D. M., & Alturas, B. (2018). Quality-in-use app evaluation: case of a recruitment app for Portuguese SMEs. Quality-in-use app evaluation: case of a recruitment app for Portuguese SMEs, (1)
- Bosworth, Barry, and Gary Burtless. (2004). “Pension reform and savings.” International Forum of the Collaboration Projects. Brookings. https://doi.org/10.17310/ntj.2004.3.11
- Clark, Robert L. (1996). “Japanese pension plans in transition.” Benefits Q 12 (1): 59.
- Gulzhanat, A., Akbota, A., Erbolat, B., Ainur, D., & Gaukhar, B. (2018). International motifs and plots in the Kazakh epics in China (on the materials of the Kazakh epics in China). Opción, 34(85), 20-43.
- Iravani, M. R., & ShekarchiZade, A. R. (2014). A social work study of effective cultural, social economic factors on work stress: A Review, UCT Journal of Management and Accounting Studies, 2(1): 5-7.
- Kannan, K. P., and T. S. Papola. (2007). “Workers in the informal sector : Initiatives by India’s national commission for enterprises in the Unorganized sector (NCEUS)." International Labour Review 146 (3 - 4): 321 - 329. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1564-913X.2007.00018.x
- Kim, Wonik. (2010). “Unemployment risks and the origins of unemployment compensation.” Studies in Comparative International Development 45 (1): 57–82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12116-009-9057-9
- Koto, Prosper. (2015 “An empirical analysis of the informal sector in Ghana,” Journal of Developing Areas 49 (2): 93 - 108. https://doi.org/10.1353/jda.2015.0038
- Lobão, J., & Pereira, C. (2016). Looking for Psychological Barriers in nine European Stock Market Indices. Dutch Journal of Finance and Management, 1(1), 39. https://doi.org/10.20897/lectito.201639
- Leake, R., C. Potter, N. Lucero, J. Gardner, and K. Deserly. (2012). “Findings from the National Needs Assessment of American Indian / Alaska Native Child Welfare Programs.” Child Welfare 91 (3): 47 - 63.
- Moffitt, R. A. (2015). “The Deserving Poor, the Family, and the U.S. Welfare System.” Demography 52 (3): 729–749. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13524-015-0395-0
- Ranjbaran, A. (2014). Investigation of Factors affecting in customer fundraising with emphasis on role of social marketing mass media in Saderat bank of Iran, UCT Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, 2(2): 31-37.
- Raphael, Sally M. S. (2004). “America’s emphasis on welfare : Is it children’s welfare or corporate welfare?.” Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing 16 (3): 133. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6171.2003.00133.x
- Riggs, Susan. (2000). “The Human Cost of Healthcare: But in Canada It’s Free.” Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons 23 (1): 26 - 28.
- Routh, Supriya. (2016. “Informal Workers’ Aggregation and Law.” Theoretical Inquiries im Law 17, pp. 283–320. https://doi.org/10.1515/til-2016-0011
- Timofeyev, Yuriy. (2013). "The Effects of the Informal Sector on Income of the Poor in Russia." Social Indicators Research 111 (3): 855 - 866. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-012-0037-5
- Ulandari, L., Amry, Z., & Saragih, S. (2019). Development of Learning Materials Based on Realistic Mathematics Education Approach to Improve Students’ Mathematical Problem-Solving Ability and Self-Efficacy. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 14(2), 375-383. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/5721