Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
INTEGRATION OF ICT IN EFL/ESL TEACHERS' TRAINING AND SELF-EFFICACY BELIEFS AS PERCEIVED BY THE TRAINERS
Corresponding Author(s) : Sumer S. Abou Shaaban
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 4 (2019): July
Purpose of Study: The current study aimed at revealing the integration of information and communications technology (ICT) in EFL/ESL teachers' training and self-efficacy beliefs as perceived by trainers. A group of (64) trainers from different countries (Palestine, UK, USA, Iran, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq) completed the two instruments of the study.
Methodology: The first instrument was a survey of the actuality of ICT integration in the training; it comprises (47) items distributed into nine domains, i.e. PowerPoint, Facebook, Wiki, YouTube, Blogs, Email, Google, Mobile, and Platform\E-course. The second instrument was a self-efficacy scale which consists of (14) items. The results of trainers' responses revealed that Emails, Mobile, and Google are often used with relative weights (%78.59, %68.13, and %68.02) respectively, whereas Wikis were never used i.e. relative weight (%28.96). The differences in integrating ICTs between male and female trainers were statistically insignificant. Furthermore, there were no statistically significant differences due to the respondents' period of experience.
Results: The results also showed that there were no statistically significant differences in the respondents' integration of ICT due to country of origin. The trainers' self-efficacy wobbles between 66.88 and 58.13 with a total of 61.70, which is moderate. Based on the study findings, the researchers recommend arousing trainers and trainees' awareness regarding integrating more ICTs in their training courses and encouraging them to try the different ICTs which make it easier for trainees to grasp the training material.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Araya-Guzmán, S., Cares-Monsalves, L., Ramírez-Correa, P., Grandón, E. E., & Alfaro-Perez, J. (2018). Enterprise Architecture Proposal for Undergraduate Teaching in Higher Education Institutions. Journal of Information Systems Engineering & Management, 3(3), 21. https://doi.org/10.20897/jisem/2657
- Baroughi, E., & ZAREI, M. H. (2013). The Ranking of Effective Factors on Efficiency of Commercial Ads In Attracting Viewers In Tehran, Iran, UCT Journal of Management and Accounting Studies, 1(1): 22-28.
- Calhoon, E. &Brumbaugh, K. (2014). Google Sites and Other Google Tools--Bringing Everything Together. https://books.google.ps/books?id=txRdBAAAQBAJ&dq=what+is+google+site&hl=ar&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Crawford, R. (2013). The ICT Teacher’s Handbook: Teaching, learning and managing ICT in the Secondary School, 2nd edition, Routledge: London.
- Gray, L. (2014). Practical Technology: What is Wiki and How to Use it?, The Rosen Publishing Group: Inc.
- Green, T. & Quigley, A. (2010). "Perception of Online Social Networks", Studies in Computational Intelligence: Mining and Analyzing Social Networks. Ting, I. et al (eds), Springer: Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-13422-7_6
- Jacobsen, D. M., & Kremer, R. (2000). Online Testing and Grading Using WebCT in Computer Science. Proceedings of WebNet 2000: World Conference on the WWW and the Internet, October 30 - November 4, San Antonio, Texas, USA. [On-line]. Available: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dmjacobs/seng/webnet2000_paper.html
- June, D. et al (2016). Illustrated Computer Concepts and Microsoft Office 365 & Office, CENGAGE Learning: Australia. www.cengage.com/permissions
- Kharma, N and Bakir, M. (2010). Introduction to Linguistics. Al-Quds Open university Publications, Amman, Jordan.
- Margoli, H. and McCabe, P. (2006). Helping Students Believe in themselves. Retrieved from: http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/affective/efficacy.html
- Matandare, M. A. (2018). Botswana Unemployment Rate Trends by Gender: Relative Analysis with Upper Middle Income Southern African Countries (2000-2016). Dutch Journal of Finance and Management, 2(2), 04. https://doi.org/10.20897/djfm/3837
- McClanahan, L. (2014). "Training Using Technology in the Adult ESL Classroom", Journal of Adult Education, Vol. 43, No.1, Pp. 22-27.
- Murray, James (2011). "Cloud network architecture and ICT - Modern Network Architecture". IT Knowledge Exchange. TechTarget. Retrieved on: 2013-08-18.
- Oliver, K. & Townsend, L. (2013). "Preparing Teachers for Technology Integration: Programs, Competences, and Factors from the literature", National Teacher Education Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, Pp. 41-60.
- Reddi, Usha Rani V (2011). Primer 1: An Introduction to ICT for Development. Asian and Pacific Training Centre for Information and Communication Technology for Development (APCICT).
- Samadi, R., Rezaei, A. M., Beydokhti, A. A. A., Najafi, M., & Mahmood, M. (2018). Understanding the development of peace concept in Children’s drawings. Opción, 34, 35-46.
- Soleymani, M., Nezhadali, L. H., & Mohammad, B. Z. (2014). Effective indicators in Bank customer satisfaction, UCT Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, 2(1): 1-7.
- Tambunan, H. (2019). The Effectiveness of the Problem Solving Strategy and the Scientific Approach to Students’ Mathematical Capabilities in High Order Thinking Skills. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 14(2), 293-302. https://doi.org/10.29333/iejme/5715
- Wen, L. Y. et all (2010). Application of Blended e-learning method in designing a training program for developing professional competences of University teachers e-CBT Model, Educational and Network Technology (ICENT), June. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICENT.2010.5532128