The purpose of the article: The article clarifies and justifies the mission of a modern regional university, which focuses on the activities of a university on the development of human capital in the region.Materials and methods: Based on the data of scientific literature, strategic documents of the state, materials of regional statistics, surveys of respondents, the strategic direction of the formation of a regional university is justified - orientation of its mission, research and educational activities on the development of human capital. A range of directions for improving the functioning of a regional university has been proposed and justified in order to bring the content of its activities in line with the regional focus and the new mission.Results of the research: Regional universities are presented in the article as high-tech educational organizations of higher education, the vector of strategic development of which should be focused on maximum integration into the economy and social sphere of the regions. Structural components of human capital are proposed - education capital, health capital, labor, cultural and moral capital, intellectual capital, entrepreneurial capital, social capital, cyclically interacting with each other in the process of personal and professional development of a teacher.
Applications: This research can be used for universities, teachers, and students.
Novelty/Originality: In this research, the model of The mission of the regional university and its focus on the development of human capital in the region is presented in a comprehensive and complete manner.
- Gonik I.L., Yurova O.V., Tekin A.V., Stegachev E.V., Fetisov A.V. (2016). Modernization of the management system as a tool for the development of a regional flagship university // Higher Education in Russia. 2016. № 7 (203). p. 117-126.
- Karmazina Yu.A. (2014). Education as an investment in human capital // Young scientist. - 2014. - №7. - p. 349-351.
- Kotova N.S., Mitusova O.A., Gelpey E.A. (2018). Design-Thinking as a New Approach to Management in Magistracy. State and municipal government. Scholarly notes. - 2018. - № 3. - p. 47-51.
- Markaryan Yu.A., Kharchenko L.N. (2017). Problems and contradictions that accompany the development of a model of a modern regional university // Municipal Education: Innovation and Experiment. - 2017. - № 6. - p. 53-56.
- Kharchenko L.N. (2014). The teacher of modern high school: competence model. - M.: “Direct-Media” publishing house, 2014. – p.217.
- Kharchenko L.N. (2014). Innovative-commercial activities of a modern university teacher: a monograph. - M.: “Direct-Media” publishing house, 2014. – p. 281.
- Khmeleva G.A. (2012). Human capital as a condition for the formation of an innovative economy of the region: a monograph. - Samara: SAGMU, 2012. -168 p.
- Bachiev B.A., Markaryan J.A., Pashtaev B.D., Savina V.I., Smyshnov K.M., Feyzullayev F.S., Kharchenko L.N. (2017). Determinants of Regional University Development in Modern Russia. 2017. Journal of History Culture and Art Research 6(5) (Special Issue on Russian Studies). Cilt 6, Sayı 5. p. 31-36. https://doi.org/10.7596/taksad.v6i5.1310
- Sianesi B., Reenen J.V. (2002). The Returns to Education: A Review of Empirical Macro-Economic Literature. The Institute for Fiscal Studies. IFS. WPO2/05, March. – 2002, р. 5-6. https://doi.org/10.1920/wp.ifs.2002.0205
- Puukka, J., & Marmolejo, F. (2008). Higher education institutions and regional mission: Lessons learnt from the OECD Review Project. Higher Education Policy, 21(2), 217-244. https://doi.org/10.1057/hep.2008.7
- Etzkowitz, H., & Klofsten, M. (2005). The innovating region: toward a theory of knowledge‐based regional development. R&D Management, 35(3), 243-255. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00387.x
- Guerrero, M., Urbano, D., Cunningham, J., & Organ, D. (2014). Entrepreneurial universities in two European regions: A case study comparison. The journal of technology Transfer, 39(3), 415-434. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-012-9287-2
- Gunasekara, C. (2006). Reframing the role of universities in the development of regional innovation systems. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 31(1), 101-113. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-005-5016-4
- Smedlund, A. (2006). The roles of intermediaries in a regional knowledge system. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 7(2), 204-220. https://doi.org/10.1108/14691930610661863
- Charles, D. (2006). Universities as key knowledge infrastructures in regional innovation systems. Innovation: the European journal of social science research, 19(1), 117-130. https://doi.org/10.1080/13511610600608013
- Etzkowitz, H. (2002). Networks of innovation: science, technology and development in the triple helix era. International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development, 1(1), 7-20. https://doi.org/10.1386/ijtm.1.1.7
- Charles, D., Benneworth, P., Conway, C., & Humphrey, L. (2010). How to benchmark university-community interactions. The community engagement and service mission of universities, 69-85.
- Charles, D. (2003). Universities and territorial development: reshaping the regional role of UK universities. Local Economy, 18(1), 7-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/0269094032000073780
- Audretsch, D. B., & Phillips, R. J. (2007). Entrepreneurship, state economic development policy, and the entrepreneurial university. State Economic Development Policy, and the Entrepreneurial University (April 2007)., Vol. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.963401
- Youtie, J., & Shapira, P. (2008). Building an innovation hub: A case study of the transformation of university roles in regional technological and economic development. Research policy, 37(8), 1188-1204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2008.04.012
- Caniëls, M. C., & van den Bosch, H. (2011). The role of higher education institutions in building regional innovation systems. Papers in Regional Science, 90(2), 271-286. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1435-5957.2010.00344.x
- Huggins, R., & Johnston, A. (2009). The economic and innovation contribution of universities: a regional perspective. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 27(6), 1088-1106. https://doi.org/10.1068/c08125b
- Boucher, G., Conway, C., & Van Der Meer, E. (2003). Tiers of engagement by universities in their region's development. Regional studies, 37(9), 887-897. https://doi.org/10.1080/0034340032000143896